with life comes death

About 12 hours ago my cousin came to visit us.

She's from my father's side of the family, Ate Bian dropped by with her husband of seven months to hand me the invitation to her baby's Christening. I'm Ninang. Baby Rafi's fairy-godmother. Goody!

She's the newest addition to my 11 ina-anaks. AT 25, i already have 11-godchildren!

I have to make a list now. I will try to be attentive to my godchildren and play the godmother role really well.

So, time flew by really fast! We met nine years ago! On her 18th birthday. Our fathers are best friends as well as close cousins so it baffled me why I met her that late in life. Then, through social networking we became updated with each other's lives and then I saw her again 7 months ago when she got married!

Wow. And now, she's got a beautiful baby girl with the biggest blackest eyes framed in the tiniest face. Awesome.

So that concluded her visit... but with life and birth comes death too.

I learned about the occasion on that same day.

Father Avel Sapida. 75 years-old. God bless his soul.

He helped my Aunt get better last year, back when she was in Spain. He helped a lot of Filipinos in Spain, spiritually, physically, emotionally. I'm not really familiar with his deeds since I do not personally know him and I have only heard of him and known him when my Aunt fell sick. We haven't met.

Regardless, his death affected me a lot. It made me sad and pray for his good soul to find peace and happiness in heaven, it made me reflect and it made me realize more that people who give love greatly will be loved greatly in return.

It made me feel regret, or at least, my mom's regret. She never met him too, but had the opportunity to meet him last December, he was supposed to pass by our house when he came to the Philippines for work/vacation. But due to time constrainst the meeting didn't happen. He was strong and healthy back then and because of some amoeba and an unprecedented circumstance, in two months, he was fighting for his life, and May 3 of this year, he passed away.

God will take care of him. But it made me reflect on the now, my present, the people around me. Right now, I may be 25, healthy, typing freely on my blog, ranting incessantly, carelessly... but 30 years from now what will happen? Who, what or where am I going to be? Who will be the people surrounding me? Who am I going to be fighting, arguing, squabbling with? Who am I going to be serving, teaching, protecting, helping? My mom, where is she going to be? My dad? Will they be jet-setting and relaxing?

I'm taxing my brain at 3:31 AM right now. It's just been a weird and emotional day for me with the news of being a Ninang to my cousin's first born daughter to the news of the death of the Head Filipino Priest in Spain-- I don't have a heart of stone, although I admit, sometimes I wish for one, but from time to time, it's good to embrace our emotions and to stay true to them that way we can figure out things more clearly, about life and about ourselves.

Good night and good morning!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unrequitted Love

You dont stop playing because you're old, you grow old because you stop playing.

What's the moral lesson?